Plan Your Visit
Experience early American history and culture at Dumbarton House
Self-guided tours are available Friday through Sunday. You can book reservations online or by phone, but advance tickets are not required. Walk-ups are welcome and we accept cash and all major credit cards. If you are reserving free tickets, we can only allow you to reserve them for one time slot per day.
Please note, the visitor center closes at 2:45pm and the museum closes at 3pm. We recommend spending at least 30 minutes in the museum, so please arrive by 2:30pm.
Refunds are issued only in the case of illness. If you cannot make your original reservation, we would be happy to reschedule you.
If you need to get in touch with a staff member onsite the day of your rental event, please call (202) 948-5862.
Friday through Sunday
10:00am to 3:00pm
(last museum entry is 2:45pm)
Our grounds are open every day from dawn to dusk, free of charge! Please consider making a donation to Dumbarton House to ensure the continued beauty and availability of our gardens.
Monday-Thursday (year round)
Month of January
Thanksgiving (November 24, 2022)
Holiday (December 20-31, 2021)
*For weather-related closures, we follow
D.C. Public Schools and provide updates on our social media channels.
- Face coverings are recommended but not required at this time for staff and visitors in indoor spaces.
- Bring a water bottle and snack: we have a water bottle-filling station on site but no food services or vending machines.
- Hand sanitizer is available around the site.
- Our accessible entrance is located off of our parking lot. Proceed to the Belle Vue Room at the back of the lot and press the buzzer for staff assistance.
- Children are welcome and strollers can be parked in our visitor center!
- We ask any visitors who feel unwell, have a fever or other symptoms to please stay home. We will be happy to refund your visit or honor your ticket for a future date if you are ill.
Directions to Dumbarton
Dumbarton House is committed to promoting the use of sustainable transportation as a way to reduce local traffic congestion, air pollution, and greenhouse gas emissions.
Dupont Circle Station (Red Line) – Q Street exit, the house is approximately six blocks west on Q ST, NW,a short walk or ride on the D2 or D6 bus lines. For more information about Metrorail and m
aps, the WMATA website.
Metrobus: D1, D2, D3, D6 and G2 buses stop nearby. For more information, visit the WMATA website.
DC Circulator: Dupont Circle-Georgetown-Rosslyn route stops at 28th & M ST, NW, or 28th ST & Pennsylvania AVE, NW, depending on direction traveled. Georgetown-Union Station route stops at Q ST & Wisconsin AVE, NW. Continue east on Q ST, NW, by foot. For more information about DC’s local bus service, visit the DC Circulator website.
Bicycle: We have a bicycle rack at the corner of 27th ST, NW & Q ST, NW
Dumbarton House is fully ADA accessible. Handicapped parking is available in our parking lot, located off 27th Street, just north of Q Street.